Enjoy the richly marbled, flavorful, juicy pork of our heritage breed Gloucestershire Old Spots pigs. Our hogs are fed local Non-GMO feed from Bagdad Roller Mills.
Not all of the pig is edible pork. On average about 57% of a hog make it from the pen to the pan. A 250 lb. hog will yield approximately 144 lbs of retail cuts. Around 28% of a hog’s live weight is inedible product removed during the slaughter and dressing procedure bringing our 250 lb. live hog to 180 lbs. dressed. The internal organs, hair, blood, and other inedible products account for most of this loss. Once the carcass is sanitarily dressed it is hung on a rail and placed into a cooler where it is quickly chilled. Once the carcass is thoroughly chilled it can be cut into retail cuts where another 20% of the weight is removed bringing our 180 lb. carcass to 144 lbs. of retail cuts. Bone dust, fat trimming, boning, grinding, and moisture loss account for this unpreventable waste. Hams and bacon are typically cured and smoked after cutting.
Whole Hog Deposit
Each whole hog is approximately 140-150 lbs of meat. It includes:
- Loin - about 20-25 lbs (Roasts and/or pork chops)
- 2 Hams - about 15 lbs each (Can be whole, divided into smaller roasts, or sliced and portioned into smaller packs. Hams can also be fresh or smoked & cured. Hams can also be made into sausage.)
- Bacon (Belly & Jowel)- about 23 lbs (Options include fresh or smoked & cured and sliced.)
- Rib Racks - about 4-5 lbs each (Can be whole or split ito half racks.)
- 2 Picnic Shoulders - about 5-7 lbs each (Each shoulder can be put divided into roasts or ground into sausage.)
- 2 Boston Butts - about 5-6 lbs each (Great for pulled pork. Also can be ground into sausage.)
- Trimmings made into plain ground pork or sausage- about 10-15 lbs (Additional cuts may be made into sausage if you would like more sausage.)
- Optional Organ Meat: Liver and/or Heart
- Optional: Feet
- Optional: Backfat (for you to render into lard)
I will email or call you to discuss how you would like each portion of the pork processed.
All meat will be frozen by the butcher.